08 March 2015

A good sermon..a good conversation

[warning: this post rambles a bit]

Today my church discussed 1 Cor 11: 27-34, it was an important reminder that even though the Lord punishes us, he does it so that he will be glorified and so that we can be reunited with him.  I suppose the thing that stuck with me is that I am not sure when I have been punished, or if I am being punished.  I never have been able to figure that out.  I suppose I should, but it is hard to figure out what is just life happening and when it is from Him.  That is what has always hit me about Job, is that all of his friends were saying "this is from God", but in fact it wasn't from God at least as a punishment, it was a testing of his faith.

Having grown up in the faith, I know I should be further along in my self studies and in my knowledge of the Spirit, but at times I think it has hindered it.  I grow complacent, life has been good.  I have felt at times a loss of joy, but never a loss of faith.  I don't know.  I need to be able to listen better to the Spirit, and to be more obedient to his word.  These little reminders help me out as I try to  think through Lent.

The other conversation I had was about how I live my faith on an external level.  Would someone who only barely knew me recognize Him in me? Do I attract people to Jesus?  In work, ministry, and in almost all my life I live in a very Christian bubble.  The bubble is comfortable, almost everyone agrees with me on most things, and life flows like I know it.  But the more I read, the more I talk with people, we need more believers to live outside the bubble. We need more politicians, lawyers, doctors, artists, educators, and social workers in the field, being salt and light.  We need to know our neighbors and to invite them into our lives.  And it needs to be intentional, it can be a barbecue or a party, but it needs to be prayed over, it needs to be revisited.  Not everyone will be ready, but people need to know that smart, educated, compassionate people are open to having you and your mess be part of their lives and prayers.

I have been in the bubble and very comfortable there, but I am missing out on creating disciples and seeing the Kingdom grow.  I have been part of a team at my University sending out students to do this, but I think we need more application course so that they will not grow weary of doing good.  That is why I love Cairn University, the University's president wants students in every form of government and position being salt and light in their communities, biblically minded, well educated men and women of character.  That is what the world needs, that faith and prayer can change society as we know it.  

No comments: